RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 12 Nov 1996 00:12:15 -0500
My name is Zephyr, and I recently read the "Greetings!" post on this list
here at my girlfriend's house.  I read/scanned your/their book a few months
ago, and I had a lot of reaction to it.

You may or may not know, but I've written a book about instinctive eating,
and I have eaten instincively for over six years now.  When I first started
writing my book, it was heavily laden with self-righteousness, arrogance,
naivete, zealotry, a lot of uninspected cultural imprints that were not
healed from eating raw foods, and of course, inspiration, love, and a
desire to help others and heal the world.

In reading Nature's First Law I was horrified to see what my book could
have become if I would not have surrendered to a lot of intense reflection,
editing, and a lot of much-resisted soul searching and wound feeling.  Even
so, my book is something I feel very tenuous and ambivalent about.
Sometimes I think it's a disgusting egocentric superhero delusion.  Other
times I think the information and vision within it could stabilize the
planet and allow life to continue with a lot more harmony, i.e. "Save The
Earth."  More and more I realize that both these perceptions are extreme
and laced with many unconscious motives and deeply embroidered imprints.

I remember when I first started talking to people about instincto, one
conversation was all it took for me to insure that they would never eat raw
food again.  I could turn someone off in an instant.  Because my arrogance
and authoritarian, frantic minded, ungrounded, very white male personality
was what was really heard.  Reading Nature's First Law reminded me of
myself in that time so much that I got sick to my raw food stomach.  My
fear is that their/your book will turn more people off to raw food than it
will ever turn on.  I would love to be wrong, truly.  But the ground of
being that I feel from the book is not primarly of compassion and deep
experiential knowledge.  It feels hyped, self-righteous, and as fluffy as
white bread.  I pray that you are on a learning curve. And that you can
mulch the parts of your message and personalities that are offensive (in a
sabotaging way) and feed the heart of your message, which I of course
fundamentally agree with.

I've been feeling into contacting Nature's First Law for months, as I feel
an older brother type of duty to support you, but I am afraid of being
misunderstood, rejected, or of coming off arrogantly myself.  I guess
that's it for now.

Adios Amigos,

Zephyr

P.S.  My above-mentioned girlfriend, who wishes to remain anonymous, must
be acknowledged as very influential in my ability to reflect upon myself as
I do.  Her voice is in this letter, as are the voices of several others I
have lived with and offended over the last five years.