RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Stefan Joest <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Sep 1997 10:20:15 +0000
Jean-Louis:
>Note: I can eat fruit+protein (IN THAT ORDER ONLY!)

You are joking. :-) I   c a n   eat that too but although the fruits
digest faster than the protein I notice some (minor) trouble in my di-
gestion.

>>Stefan:
>>Case 1: pure honey. Immediately digested and (in your case) high blood
>>glucose level (BGL). Okay.

>>Case 2:
>>1 avocado plus 4 TBS honey: Avocado passed to the small intestine to
>>extract the fat. Honey digested immediately: still high BGL.

>>Case 3:
>>2 very fatty raw Boston mackerel + 4TBS honey: Body starts with the
>>digestion of the mackerels, secreting HCl etc. Digestion of the honey
>>must wait until most of the mackerels are processed in the stomach and
>>passed to the small intestine. BGL keeps low. Also it is questionable
>>if the honey is digestable if it follows the mackerels. Perhaps it
>>remains undigested.

Jean-Louis:
>Do you mean that the protein content of the mackerels could explain the
>difference between cases 1 and 2?

Since the mackerels are in case 3 I guess, you ask for the difference
of case 2 and 3?
If so, I agree. The high protein content of the fish starts protein
digestion (and sugar digestion is delayed).

Jean-Louis:
>the reverse order. In any case, our body produces enzymes to digest
>protein, and enzymes to digest sugars, so even a miscombination is at
>least partially digested.

Hm. If the working conditions for these two types of enzymes contradict
each other, the combination may turn out undigestable.
The standard argument here is, that protein digestion needs an acidy
environment while sugar/carbohydrates need an alkaline environment.
If the sugar-processing enzymes are destroyed by the acidy environ-
ment the sugar would remain undigested.

Jean-Louis:
>There are no "rules" of food combination valid for everybody. I often
>mix 2 different proteins at the same meal without apparent problems.

If you eat each protein until the stop comes, I guess you will watch
signs of a protein overload sooner or later. Also compared to eating
one protein, I expect you to find, that the combination digests a bit
worse. At least this is my experience.
Of course you are right: there are no rules valid for everybody. I
even would say that there are no rules for instinctive nutrition. But
the combining rules, meal time rules, etc. help us former cooked food
junkies to do instinctive nutrition without finding out every single
bit of the best style (which we would have done in our childhood if
we have had the opportunity).

Best combined wishes,

Stefan
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]