RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bruno Comby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 02 Apr 1997 01:41:24 +0000
Hello Jean-Louis,

Jean-Louis Tu wrote:

> JL: Bread is cooked. Are the troubles caused by cooking, or by the
> grain itself?
>
> GCB: Both [he then talks about the stressometer].

Bruno's jumps in and comments :

I'm the person who conducted those experiments, raised the mice and did
the research work. Although this may not totally false, it may also not
be totally true. That results showed that the problem was mostly with
the cooking (tremor level multiplied by 3 to 5 fold) and possibly but
not as much, with the grains even raw (tremor level of mice fed only raw
cereals was +50% compared to mice fed only raw nuts or a variety of raw
foods, grain excepted, some caution is however necessary when it comes
to the interpretation of this fact). Note : there was no significant
difference between the mice-tremor induced by wheat and by barley
whether raw (+50%) or cooked (x3 to 5).

> GCB: [He thinks that, although bread is far worse than sprouted wheat, the latter shouldn't be consumed; however, he doesn't give precise arguments].

My personal feeling is that he may be wrong on this point. It isn't
logic to accept the nectarines and all the selected products sold by
Orkos and reject only wheat on the basis that it's selected. Selection
also exists in nature. It is true that eating sprouted raw
"instinctive-quality" wheat will give nervous reactions in most
individuals, especially the former whole bread eaters, but this can be
because of the detox reaction of the former cooked wheat, reactions
triggered by eating good quality raw wheat. As we are all strongly
intoxicated by bread, eating raw wheat gives strong detox and strong
nervous reactions on almost everybody. I think if humanity had eaten as
much rice or any other cereal as it has bread, Burger would have pointed
at that one instead of eliminating wheat, for the same reasons. But
introducing good quality wheat or not in the instinctive diet is a minor
point in daily practice anyway because the percentage of sprouted grains
in the total intake is generally very small for most instinctive eaters.

> JL: Maybe we should test the stressometer on rats fed with slightly
> denatured grains.

Good idea. When do you start ? BTW, it's easier on mice than rats. As
far as I know tremor measurements have never been done on rats - only on
mice - except one research team in Zurich working on the effect of
cafeine-ethanol interaction having nothing to do with cereals or raw
diets.

Cheers.

Sincerely yours. With best regards.

Bruno COMBY.