RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Nov 1997 16:03:53 -0600
Kirt:
>Anyway, in talking to my local butcher (a great fellow who started a coop
>to promote the local beef) he tells me that there is a jerky outfit in
>Denver who is "importing" frozen eye of round and that the shipping comes
>out to be about 40 cents per pound. Since there are direct flights from
>Honolulu to most major mainland cities, he thinks that beef could be
>shipped fresh to most anywhere on the mainland for close to that shipping
>price. The catch is that one pays for a container which holds about 300
>pounds on meat. So if you bought only 100 pounds the shipping price pound
>would be about a $1.20/lb. You would need to deal with it from the
>receiving airport onwards.

This is very reasonably priced indeed - especially for such high quality.
Kirt, thanks for this very valuable information.  Presently, I have no
access to a separate freezer but that might change soon.

>It will take some asking around to get the actual contacts needed on this
>end, but I'd more than happy to find out the details if there is some
>interest among a group of listers here--pretty hard I'd imagine since it
>seems to be a pretty far flung bunch here (though the LA raw food support
>group might put their heads together??). But I thought I should mention it
>as an option if anybody might be interested.

Probably not until more Paleo-oriented people join our group. :-) Could you
please post the name and phone number of the rancher on the Big Island who
supplies this meat? I am thinking of putting in a small order to see how it
tastes.
I have recently come across a local source fresh buffalo that like most
buffalo is 100% range-fed at prices from $7 - $14/lb for the better cuts
making your beef from HI a lot cheaper. It was not as tasty as some buffalo
I recently got from Santa Cruz that tasted like fresh sourdough. This
buffalo is very tough to eat so I guess it is time I dig into the archives
and re-read some of your instructions of how to age meat. :-)  I tried
drying some of the buffalo at 95 degrees - it was not bad but, naturally,
did not make it any tenderer.

Best, Peter