RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sandy Labedz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Oct 1996 01:03:28 -0400
Hi Larry!

I'm sorry, I don't have the exact amount of melatonin in bananas. That
information should be available in one of the many books on melatonin which
mostly push supplements but one of them lists foods which are high.  The
following is a list which I copied from an article I read on melatonin.  Here
are the foods highest in the substance in descending order.  I'm not sure
what the numbers after each refer to, it's  probably  be milligrams per
something.  At any rate, this will give you an idea of the relative amounts
in each food:

oats - 1796
corn - 1366
rice - 1006
ginger - 583
tomatoes - 500
banana - 460
barley - 378

All of these can be eaten raw but since I can't stomach soaked grain, I stick
with the easiest food to eat, bananas!  Actually, I do eat at least one ear
of corn daily also but one is supposed to eat high melatonin foods near
bedtime for max effect so bananas it is!  For anyone who has trouble sleeping
and eats a little cooked food, a cup of oatmeal a half hour or so before bed
will really knock you out.  When I ate this, I simply poured boiling water on
an equal amount of oatmeal and let it sit for 15 minutes.  Ate it with
bananas, a melatonin blast, slept like a baby.

Smiles,

Sandy