RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Nieft / Secola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Oct 1996 16:00:38 -0700
I missed the original post but don't want to hurt Ward's sensitive ears
with my silence :)

In our fridge is a barely-eaten-from 25# box of halawa dates. (Dates were a
staple in our early raw days in Milw, but now we don't seem to eat many,
and I probably made a mistake buying the case in early Aug--last year's
date at 1.76/lb.) There are salad veggies (celery, iceburg, romaine, two
red peppers). There are a couple lbs red grapes ('red crunchies' we call
them). There is some dried buffalo jerky (some of which I have promised to
send Ward--it's coming!), some dried Coleman beef (both from Denver when we
were visiting my sister). There are a (two or three less than a) dozen each
of three diferent 'brands' of organic chicken eggs. There is most of a
rotting 355mg bottle of Dale Alexander's cod liver oil which I should
probably toss out. There are two 2-liter Evian bottles of reverse osmosis
water from our tap (we can always pretend!). And there is some soda/beer
for guests. In the freezer is some ice trays and a half dozen frozen
bananas which we run thru the Champion for guests.

In a hanging basket are some grapes on their way to raisonhood, a half lb
of mushrooms starting to crinkle dry (we never refridgerate mushrooms in
plastic which makes them, and fish and meat, rot). In a hanging air dryer
there are a few dozen mission figs from a yard tree, and several dried
mackeral roe sacks. There is a basket of valencia oranges, four Reed
avocados, and a slowly ripening  case of Hayicha persimmons scattered
around the kitchen.

There is a small bottle of EV olive oil, a half bottle of Chorella, a kilo
or so of karenga (a New Zealand seaweed which is even better than dulse)
and the dulse left from a five lb order from Maine Coast Sea Veggies. Oh
there are less than a pound each of pine nuts, "raw" pistachios, and
walnuts in the cupboard.

And hanging from hooks on the garage in citrus bags are several pounds of
cassia and most of a twenty-five lb bulk of raw peanuts we bought a couple
weeks ago. And on a shelf in the garage is about 60 lbs of self-extracted
jarred Wisconsin honey which we did about 7 years ago, and lost our general
appetite for honey about six years ago. Cest la vie, or however you spell
that...

And, finally, on sprawling vines in our garden are cherry tomatoes and
beefsteak tomatoes which where tended by our renters before we moved in in
August. A single cherimoya on one of four trees planted in 1992, and more
white figs than we can eat (they don't dry well) on a goofy looking fig
tree. A half dozen Gwen avocados on one of a half dozen avocado trees
planted in 92 as well.

And finally finally, we have our Can o Worms vermicompost, which I have
only recently considered a possible food source. Not to worry all, I have
not yet tasted the little fellas, but do admit that compared to tracking
down edible meat or trying to pay for seafood these days, the idea of self
tending worms eating our fruit/vegie scraps and then us eating them in
place of meat/seafood is gaining attraction in the backburner of my mind.
We'll see...

Probably 50-80% of our produce is organic or at least unsprayed.

We eat seafood weekly-ish though there is none here now.

Of course the whole lot almost got cooked from the brush fires which came
within a few blocks of our house Monday night. By the way, as we were
packing what we could into our Geo Prism at 3:00am I'll admit that Melisa
packed about 20 persimmons were in there along with our computer and files
and that other stuff that doesn't matter as much as totally beautiful
ripening persimmons! T%o which I replied, "What about the rest of em?" She
shrugged her shoulders. I conceded. Well it was all for nothing (we didn't
burn up) and several persimmons were squashed in the process. So, I guess
that little story is proof that we are addicted to fruit, Ward. Not only do
we look forward to those persimmons, but we save them from a (potentially)
burning house!

Cheers,
Kirt