RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Oct 1997 19:24:13 -0500
For an interesting view on diet and exercise read Arthur De Vany, Ph.D.'s
essay at:

           http://www.socsci.uci.edu/econ/personnel/devany/Essay.html

I look forward to reading his book coming out next year. The excerpt below
is the part that relates to raw foods.  I find his reasoning that our use
of fire to cook food is what enabled the human brain to grow to its present
size quite challenging.  It is in line with the inverse relationship that
has been found in primates between the size of the brain and the size of
the gut.

De Vany:
>The beauty of the 40,000 BC eating model is that you eat no canned,
frozen, packaged, >or manufactured food; only fresh foods, vegetables and
fruits that are edible raw (I >may grill or steam them or eat them raw, but
if they are edible raw they will do no >damage). I don't eat meat raw as a
number of primitive eaters do. I don't trust our >food processing industry
to provide food that is free of salmonella and other >pathogens. Cooking
also degrades many of the toxins, antibiotics and hormones that >infect
animal sources of food. (Our small stomachs evolved along with our ability
to >use fire and other techniques to predigest food. Fire may have been
essential to the >evolution of a large brain as it released expensive
metabolic tissue in the stomach for >our metabolically very expensive brain
tissue.)

Best, Peter