RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Janis Callen Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Nov 1998 08:45:52 -0500
> David:
> >Welcome back from here as well !
> >
> >Does this address look familiar:
> >
> >Janis Bell <[log in to unmask]>
> >
> >I can remove the subscription for this address, and  resubscribe you
> >under a new one - just let me know.
> >
> The correct address is [log in to unmask]

Ok, I have made the change.

> since it's a huge server for a university of 50,000 sometimes the mail goes
> out through a different address.  For example, yesterday I sent a message to
> myself and the from line reads "[log in to unmask]" and other
> times I suppose it reads 'postbox.acs. etc.' unless that is an old server.

Sounds like osu is using round robin dns to send out messages, and
at least one of the outbound mail servers in the rotor is either
doing an inappropriate From: address rewrite (i.e. overwriting your
From: line due to server configuration), or, is missing the appropriate
From: translation table - with round robin dns, you would be resolving
to different mail servers when messages are sent at different times.

Just curious, but is your email client configured to add the From:
address to your outgoing messages, or does it rely on the outbound
server to insert this address ?

You may wish to get your mail adminstrator to take a look at
the configuration on their pop boxes in the dns rotor (or outbound
mail server if the pop boxes are forwarding/proxying outgoing
smtp mail) to see if any address rewriting funniness is going on.
I would be glad to be of any assistance that I could (I do work
in the R&D department at Mindspring Enterprises, and my current
assignment/specialty is email servers).

> I looked at some of the messages I successfully posted to the list and the
> "From" line just had my regular e-mail address -- e.g. [log in to unmask]

Perhaps this is the one that you unsubsribed to before (though the other
entry was their, dating back to March, 1998).

> I'm going to try to send again this message that got kicked back.  In case
> it doesn't work, I've copied it to you and hope you can do whatever magic
> list managers do to allow it to go through.

Ok, just as a test, could you now try to send this message out, so
we can see if you can post to the list now with the bell.270.osu.edu
address ? If it bounces again (and any others), I'll make sure that
they get posted to the list.

Thanks and regards,

David