RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Meredith Westfall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Oct 1996 23:47:46 -0400 (EDT)
Hi Shawn,

The persimmons are called "Fuyukaki (pronounced gaki)" .  I lived near
Mt. Fuji, so that is where they are grown, so I lucked out.  Believe it
ornot, I didn't spend tons of money on fruit.  I went to a
producewarehouse of sorts. I bought a huge backpack full of fuyukaki for
about $6.00.  The trick is to eat seasonally.  here in the states, we eat
everything all year round, so knowing what rally is in season is hard to
tell.  Just based on the price, you'll know in Japan.  We watch the
passage of time using a calendar. In Japan, nature is incorporated in
their way of life.  All of their poems have references to the wonderful
foods of September.  What will you be doing in Japan? I would love to
return, but now that I have two cats....

You said the butternut squash "seemed too hard to eat."  This sounds like
you didn't try it, did you.  I should alos mention that I bought the
already peeled one in a bag (should I hide?!!)  I eat it sliced thin and
thrown into a salad.  How do you eat sweet potatoes?  Any favorite kind?

I go to the Bread and Circus in Boston-that's where I'm from.  And
dreading the upcoming winter. That's about it.

Take care,
Meredith