RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ombodhi thoren st john <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 03 Oct 1996 14:02:01 -0700
the priciples of
		 ordered eating
ordered eating is:

 1.  intentional	we eat because we choose to eat, not because we
			are compelled to do so through habit.

 2.  conscious		we eat with awareness of the body, taking notice
			of atmosphere, company, taste, texture, posture,
			chewing, aroma, and all the sensations of the
			eating experience.

 3.  reflective		we actively listen for the body's feedback: did
			the food help or hinder the body, and what can
			we do next time to ensure a more fulfilling
			meal?

 4.  exploratory	we understand eating to be a learning and
			exploratory process, an ongoing journey through
			the unknown where both diet and body are
			continuously changing.

 5.  transformational	because our relationship to food mirrors our
			relationship to life, we work with habits and
			attitudes about eating to help transform
			ourselves at deeper levels.

 6.  nourishing		we understand that food nourishes by virtue of
			the following:

	type		different foods either help or hinder biological
			function.

	quality		foods of similar type vary in quality depending
			upon nutrient content; toxic residue level; and
			method of growing, storage, and preservation.

	preparation	the skill and awareness with which a food is
			cooked and prepared determines its effect.

	amount		the quantity of food eaten will determine its
			effect.

	timing		the timing of a meal determines its effect.
			certain foods eaten at certain times of the day
			are more readily digested, while the amount of
			time between meals also affects digestive
			capacity.

 7.  body-based		we eat according to our body constitution and
			biochemical individuality.

 8.  strategic		we understand that diet functions on either
			maintenance, therapeutic, or experimental
			levels.

 9.  personalized	we understand that our food choices are
			regulated by our life-style.

10.  seasonal		we include seasonal foods in our diet to benefit
			from biocosmic forces.

11.  localized		we include locally produced foods in our diet to
			benefit from bioregional cycles.

12.  synergistic	we understand diet to work in synergy with other
			factors such as excercise, sleep cycles, breath
			patterns, and emotions.

13.  communal		we understand that sharing a meal with others
			can be nourishing to them and to ourselves.

14.  intimate		we understand that eating may be a personal
			experience of self.

15.  connected		we are aware that eating connects us to the
			earth, soil, animals, plants, and waters, and
			that by nourishing them with thoughtful and
			conscientious methods, we nourish ourselves.

16.  mindful		we understand the wisdom of balance and
			moderation in what we eat and what we believe
			about diet.

17.  spontaneous	we understand that occasional episodes of
			imbalance, lack of moderation, and strategic
			rule-breaking are likely to occur and can be
			useful and instructive.

18.  broad-minded	we understand that foods are neither morally
			good nor bad, and recognize the uselessness of
			judging anyone (including ourselves) for what
			they eat.

19.  liberating		we understand that once a meal is finished, we
			need not continue to think or fantasize about
			food.

20.  joyous		above all else, we smile when we eat.

	...the ordered eating guidelines are especially helpful because
they focus not only on health but on attitude to health.  for years i
ate with tension and judged the eating habits of myself and others.
after endless searching for the perfect diet, i reached a place inside
myself that acknowledged that wherever i was as an eater, was okay.  if
i ate turkey or tuna, it was fine.  if i wanted ice cream, i was okay.
even if i ate nachos and guacamole until i was sick, i was still okay.
by breaking free of rules fueled by fear and judgment, i was able to
make awakened choices that worked.

				--------marc david, writing in
					_nourishing wisdom_
					a new understanding of eating