RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Mon, 14 Apr 1997 08:49:24 -0700 (PDT)
>I was recently contemplating the theory that excessive use of digestive
>enzymes by eating cooked and processed food depletes enzyme reserves to
>the extent that the body begins to convert more digestive enzymes from
>other metabolic enzymes, thus the body suffers from the inability to
>metabolize properly or completely.

>I was wondering if any of you have thoughts about this theory and to
>what extent this occurs and what specific conditions do we see that we
>can point a finger at and say (for example) "that person has heart
>disease because they lack this or that enzyme that bonds with cell
>wastes to remove them from arteries."  Is there research that is being
>done from this perspective. Any leads anyone.

Tom:
An excellent question. The topic is controversial; critics of enzyme
supplements point out that there is no reason for the enzymes to get
through the intestinal wall, and that most enzymes will be destroyed
in the stomach in digestion. Supporters of enzyme supplements point to
animal research showing enzyme supplements raised blood enzyme levels in
rabbits, and the efficacy of certain enzyme products such as "Beano",
which reduce flatulence.

I personally think enzymes are of some importance, but they have been
oversold. I don't believe that disease can be explained away as a lack
of enzymes, or that all diseases are due to toxemia/blockage.

You might want to check out some of the newer books on enzymes. I don't
recall the authors/title, but one new book was written by MDs, and
referenced a lot of research. If I can locate that book, I will post
details later.

Regards,
Tom Billings