RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lynton Blair <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Sep 1999 12:50:48 GMT
Hi Loren,

>Lynton, your concerns are well placed.  I do not eat, or advocate eating
>cruciferous vegetables.  I did not mention cabbage, and I said broccoli
>sprouts, not broccoli.  The sprouts are tiny little green plants,
>properly classified as leafy greens at that stage.

You are correct, I misread, here is what you wrote:
"I eat a wide variety of greens - whatever i can find organic,
including
all of the varieties of lettuce (red leaf, green leaf, romaine,
butter,
oak leaf, etc.), spinach, dandelion, bok choy, kale, and various
sprouts
- sunflower, broccoli, alfalfa, etc."

...however, kale is cruciferous?

>There has always been those who believe that alfalfa sprouts are bad,
>and there are those who have continued to eat them with no noticeable
>problem. As a negligible part of my diet, even if they did have the
>supposed toxins, it probably would be of little concern.
>
>The oxalic acid in spinach (and some other greens) is not a problem
>unless those greens are cooked.

You sure on this? on what basis do you make your claim?

>Finally, I think you misunderstood.  I do not eat mostly greens.  I
>eat 4 or 5 salads per week.  The rest is fruit.  I do not advocate
>eating a fruitarian >(all fruit) diet.  And I have found that people
>need to consume more leafy greens when transitioning.  It is only
>the last 4 or 5 years that my diet has been mostly fruit.

well this is what you wrote:
" On a typical day, I'll eat something like this: NO breakfast, 4 or 5
pieces of fruit for lunch (could be apples, pears, peaches, mangos,
etc),
 and a green salad for dinner which varies but might typically about a
pound of greens, an avocado, a tomato, etc."

and in my view a pound of greens is massive, and in terms of
nutritional
qualities far exceeds half-a-dozen pieces of fruit!

Do you drink much water, by the way?, and if so what kind?
And what sort of exercising do you do???

Lynton