RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
David Mayne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 May 1998 18:30:53 -0400
Sheila wrote:
> SS: Would love the recipe. I grate it and put it in water and let it sit
> for 7 days and add a few juniper berries to the water to stop the 'bad'
> bacteria. Heard another recipe that soaks the cabbage grated for 3 days,
> strain and drink the fluid, save some for a starter, and the next batch
> only has to go 24 hours.

I have used a recipe that Viktoras showed me once. Basically, take
3 med cabbage heads, and either juice, finely grate, or homogonize
the cabbage, saving a large leaf for cover later.. If you use a
juicer, mix the resulting juice and pulp together (I use a
Champion with the homogonize blade cover in).  Do the same with
a red beet. Mix together, and put the results in a large glass jar,
Cover with the cabbage leaf you saved earlier, and it should
be ready in 36 - 72 hours (depending upon temp, etc). I stirred the
mix once a day. Once ready, put a lid on the glass jar, and
put in a refrigerator. Should keep for at least a couple of weeks.
Viktoras recommended using acidophilus as a starter. No  salt
in this recipe. You can also put other veg's in their, like
carrots, celery, broccoli, etc. This has worked pretty well for
me.

Regards,

David