RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Robert W. Avery <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 08 Nov 1996 01:56:41 EST
Carl,
	Learning meditation and deep relaxation techniques are supposed
to help you learn more about who you are, but I'm no expert in this area
myself.
	The advice you got about your sugar cravings was all over the
map, wasn't it?  Sounds like we're (as a group) just as confused as you
are.  I guess you don't like the socially distancing aspects of the 100%
raw and 0% refined sugar diet that I would choose to eliminate the
cravings if I were in your shoes.  But remember, even if you would become
"extreme" thereby, there are others just like you around, and I think we
are becoming more numerous as time goes on.  Moreover, we are not really
extreme; we are simply trying to return to normalcy a society that is
extreme in the opposite direction --- a society that is destined to ruin
itself and the whole planet if it keeps going in this direction.  We need
to be strong for the Truth.  It is always hard to be part of a minority,
to endure ridicule and persecution, but isn't that what all great leaders
of the past have had to suffer?  Try not to internalize the criticisms of
others and do what seems right to you.
	I'll tell you why I suggested the cold turkey approach: it was
because it was  the only thing that worked for me when my craving was
peanut butter.  Many years ago, before I even knew about the wisdom of a
raw diet, I used to periodically binge on peanut butter.  It gave me a
tummy ache and made me feel tired (at age 22), so I knew it wasn't good
for me, at least to eat so much of it.  I would open a jar to take one
heaping spoonful into my mouth and chew on it until the sticky stuff more
or less went down my throat.  My plan was to have only one or two
spoonfuls.  But it tasted so good, I had to have another.  And another.
And then, well, one more for the road.  And another...  "Oh, but look!
The jar is nearly empty; well, in that case, I may as well finish it
off."  Sound familiar?  I've always thought of myself as a person with a
lot of self-control, but this was something I couldn't control.  I
couldn't just eat one or two spoonfuls and stop.  After trying a number
of times, I realized that moderation just wasn't going to work.  To prove
to myself that *I* was the person in charge of my destiny, not the peanut
butter, I then made the decision to go cold turkey on it.  And I did.  I
ate no peanut butter at all, even in a sandwich, for more than 20 years.
Eventually I went back and tested it again mixed with rice or other
foods, and was able to eat it moderately.  But shortly after that, I
discovered the superiority of the raw food diet and gave up peanut butter
again --- for good.

Bob Avery ([log in to unmask])