RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Robert W. Avery <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Oct 1996 02:26:02 EDT
I sympathize with the social problem.  There are no easy answers, and we
all have to deal with it in a way that fits our respective personalities.
 Personally, as time goes on, I have become less and less willing to
compromise.  I eat my way and if other people don't like it, that's their
problem.

In terms of cravings for cooked food, I no longer have them.  As I guess
what you would call a medium-term raw fooder (it will be 4 years in
January), I still like the smell of cooked food (so long as it hasn't
been burnt), but have no physiological desire for it.  Psychcologically,
I have fond memories of ethnic restaurant meals, including Indian,
Chinese, Thai, Italian, and such.  There is a local Indian restaurant
that has (or had, I don't know if they still do) an all-you-can-eat
Indian lunch buffet for $7 that always included Tandoori chicken amongst
other things.  I loved it.

However, I can honestly say that ripe organic fruits and vegetables, raw
and unspiced, do more for my taste buds now than any Tandoori chicken
masala or any other cooked food ever did.  So although I still find the
cooking aromas pleasant (I keep wondering when or whether this will
eventually change too), I really do not want to put any of that stuff
into my mouth, not to mention that it definitely would make me sick for
about 2 days if I were to do so.

During the first 2 years of my rawness, I would occasionally lapse a
little and retest small amounts of cooked food, and most of the time it
would make me sick.  Even when it didn't, I would still feel subpar for a
couple of days afterwards.  Moreover, I would begin to lose all sense of
proportion.  It seemed that I would have to proceed along the path of
more and more cooked food or eliminate it entirely.  I now think that
people who try to live 75% or 80% or even 95% raw are the ones who have
the most difficulties maintaining their desired diets.  100% raw is by
far the easier course, in my opinion.  When eating with others, you just
have to politely decline any of their cooked food offers, and always be
alert for the need of advance planning.  If I know I am going someplace
where there will be little or no uncooked food available, I either plan
on fasting or slip a baggie of dates and presoaked nuts into my pocket to
take with me.