RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Robert W. Avery <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Oct 1996 02:14:13 EDT
Sandy:
>Hi Kirt,
>Each time I leave the house, whether I'm going shopping or on a long
>trip, I carry my insulated blue bag and in it is always fruit, nuts
and/or veggies. Since I've been mostly raw, I've only traveled to places like
SantaCruz, San Francisco, Palm Springs and Tallahassee and found quality
produce and restaurants with decent salads easily.  I'd love to go to Ireland
when the kids are out of college but really hesitate to plan much as I
imagine eating raw there would be nearly impossible.

What's the problem, Sandy, don't they have raw food in Ireland?  Is it
all pre-cooked and airdropped in from England?  :-)

I've taken car and plane trips all over the U.S. and Canada and survive
just fine.  I do a combination of (a) bringing food along (nuts, seeds,
grains, and dates make for compact packing), (b) buying food in the
destination cities in the usual outlets: supermarkets, grocery stores,
produce stands, health food stores, and farmer's markets, same as I do
when I'm home.  Since I'm trying to eat only organic food now, I have to
plan more carefully.  I usually check phone books, organic supplier and
farmer's market directories for the place where I'm going ahead of time
so I'll know where I'll be shopping.  I bring my food to my hotel/motel
room and eat it there.  Many motels offer refrigerator or kitchenette
service.  If I'm going by car, I bring along my big picnic cooler and
keep ice in it.  Whether driving or flying, I bring along my water
distiller and keep it percolating in my hotel room so I can
soak/rinse/sprout nuts and seeds.  If I'm going to be away from my hotel
room for the whole day, I pack my lunch and dinner (don't do breakfast)
in a knapsack that I carry on my back.  So far, no problem.

Travel outside North America might be tougher.  For example, does anyone
know whether bringing my distiller to China or Tokyo would be just a
wasted effort? (incompatible electricity?)  I could just get one of those
converters, right?