RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Sun, 14 Sep 1997 16:49:01 -0700
Jean-Louis:
>The main paths to bingeing are something like:

>     -->dieting ---> anorexia ---> binge eating
>    |                                  |
>    |__________________________________|
>
>or
>
>being overweight --> dieting <----> binge eating

Tom:
The nice chart you present makes me think of a few other possible channels
for binge eating:

physical channel:

restricted/unbalanced diet => nutritional deficiency and/or excess of sugar
(fruit diet) => real hunger (nutr. def.) or detox hunger (excess sugar/
fruit) => binge eating

An alternate physical channel could develop if detox happens too fast
(regardless of the type of raw diet), which could cause detox "hunger",
and trigger binges.

psychological channel:

restricted/unbalanced diet => a sense of deprivation and/or mood swings from
excess sugar => depression => binge eating.

Comments on the above are welcome. The above is a first try, so I will
probably think of other things/better ways to present the information,
later.

Jean-Louis:
> 2) As the diet is restrictive, it leads to cravings, even exceptions,
>cheating and eating in secret. That pattern is more common among fruitarians
>(I believe).

> 3) I don't know if any raw food binge-eater uses vomiting, but raw food,

Tom:
Viktoras, in the revised edition of his "Survival.." book, reports that he
was bulimic for years. I agree with you that craving, cheating, binges,
eating in secret are a real problem in fruitarianism. In the last few years
of my "fruitarian experiment",  cravings and occasional binges were a real
challenge/problem for me. And there is a reason for the cravings: the
fruitarian diet usually  has far too much sugar in it, and it is nutritionally
deficient as well.

So when a fruitarian claims that they follow the diet 100%, I really find that
extremely hard to believe.

Jean-Louis:
>Nowadays,
>eating exclusively wild food would keep binge-eating at a manageable level,

Tom:
Perhaps, as wild greens are often very bitter, and wild sweet fruit is not so
common. Also, wild RAF has fat, which might provide some protection from
the sugar in the fruit.

Thanks for your interesting post!

Regards,
Tom Billings