RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Roy Holman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Jul 1998 19:39:24 EDT
Hi Kelli,

On 7/7 you wrote:  Can anyone refer me to info on how to eat chicken raw/very
rare? Does doing that allow it to digest properly? Is it safe to eat it only
lightly cooked?  Any guidance would be much appreciated!

Well, I've been trying about everything - at least once!  Hopefully once will
not be enough to kill me (half kidding).  Anyway, I certainly cannot tell you
if this is safe or not, but I ate some raw and mostly raw chicken about a
month ago.

I was a basic meat eater up until about age 30 (12 years ago) when I turned
vegetarian, and in those days chicken was my meat of choice.  I couldn't deny
that I still craved chicken from time to time, and since I've been
experimenting, adding some raw animal foods to my diet in my quest to cut my
cravings, I decided to try chicken.  So, I bought free range chicken thighs,
from supposedly happy and healthy chickens, ate one raw and the other lightly
warmed / steamed.  I was surprised how tender both were, and the warmed one
was quite good.  I felt fine after eating it.

I tried the same thing since then - again tender, but I didn't seem to enjoy
the smell or taste as much (it seemed "clean" enough, but just not very
apealing).  I'm wondering if I just needed to allow myself chicken once, or
maybe very rarely in the future??  I'm just trying to follow my instincts on
this, and hopefully my nose will alert me if it is risky.  Really, I hope that
I don't crave or need it anymore.

I wish you luck Kelli.

Roy