RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Stefan Joest <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Sep 1997 13:41:10 +0000
Hi Peter,

you wrote:
>>Stefan:
>>I think, that cooking changes the molecules of a food so much, that it
>>is very different from the original. Even small changes are important:
>>remember, that the protein, that was found to be "responsible" for
>>BSE (mad cow disease) exists in two forms: one is good and necessary
>>for the organism, the second is causing the disease.

Peter:
>Since we handle the effects of cooking much easier than we do BSE, I am
>not sure the comparison is a valid one.

I gave this example only to make clear, that denaturation can turn a
useful needed protein into a disease-causing one. I think this applies
to all proteins, not just the one causing BSE.

Stefan:
>>The previous is an approach that asks for the results of single mole-
>>cules in human digestion. Another approach would be, to ask for gene-
>>tical adaptation to cooked foods and not to care about single
>>molecules. This is, what I prefer.

Peter:
>I do not understand what you are referring to. Could you please elaborate?

My post had two parts: the first dealing with single molecules and what
happens to them, when cooked and eaten. The second part was a general
approach arguing with genetical adaptation to    a l l    PCF (paleo-
lithic cooked food) and not asking for certain substances. The latter
I find more useful since science is so far away from finding out the
complex ways of digestion and the involved chemical reactions.

Peter:
>Just do it! - if not for any other reason then just to prove to
>yourself that you are not attached to eating instinctively. ;-)

Hehe! Well every animal is "attached to eating instinctively" and has
no problems with that, no? So I don't know why I should have problems
with that style of eating. :-)

Peter:
>For the sake of science I hope that you will try it soon. This will
>also take some of the burden off Kirt, our premier raw guineas pig. :-)

LOL! And perhaps putting some burden on my health. But at least all
posts of Kirt about "how to cook paleolithically" (that's, how I would
sum up them) showed me, that overdoing it might be bad while short
application of low heat might be okay. Who knows.

Further ideas: would winter be the best time for a PCF experiment?
Would it be good to leave off any tropical fruits of one's diet be-
fore for some time, to create similar conditions like those in paleo-
lithic times? (Artificial scarcity so to speak)

Best uncooked regards,

Stefan
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]