RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Nov 1996 00:14:00 -0800
You wrote:
>the first  - unthinkable.  You and the other instinctos seem really
>sincere, but your thoughts on the question of raw flesh are so foreign
>to me, I just don't understand.

Sandy,  I think it is a matter of experiencing rather than
understanding. It is my understanding that people go from feeling guilt
& revulsion at the thought of eating animal flesh to gratitude &
satisfaction as they are introduced to the raw meat. The fact that you
look at a cow without salivating does not prove anything - just like a
monk can look at a beautiful woman without desiring her.  Being cut off
from ones needs and desires and being able to sublimate them for a
seemingly higher cause does not mean they are not still there and need
to be met. The only way that you can really establish whether or not
raw meat would contribute to your health would be for you to try it for
a while. I am sure that your body will give you clear signals either
way, and consider how much stronger you would stand in your fight for
veganism if you gave raw meat a true chance and it turned out to
undermine your health. You would be able to save so many more animal
lives and maybe persuade somebody like me not to take the plunge and
save my vegan soul. (Otherwise, you leave me no choice but to do it,
but I have a much weaker soul than you, so do not be surprised if you
one day find me scavenging the trash cans around your local McDonalds.
:-))
Is being vegan not an idea that is superimposed rather than derived
from a direct experience of our true nature, and is it not consequently
a betrayal of life itself? - and is the only way to become a true vegan
not to confront the beast and eat some meat raw - the only honest way
to eat it? - and is any vegan who has not at least gone through such a
period not only a hypocrite wihout any credibility but also prolonging
the pain & destruction of the planet by refusing to uncover the truth
and insisting on living in denial? - An inquiring vegan wants to know.

Best, Peter