RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ellie Rotunno <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 May 1997 19:41:59 -0700
Martha Seagoe wrote:

> Thanks for bringing up the fact that acquired characteristics being
> inheritable does not square with what you learned about genetics.  It
> also doesn*t square with what I learned in high school biology, unless
> our understanding has changed a lot since then, which is certainly
> possible.  That was a lo-o-ong time ago!  I don*t seem to remember there
> being closure on that issue.  Did you get an answer that satisfied you?

>No, I'm still interested in that. Maybe I'm just not up to date on evolutionary theory. Who knows?

Martha:
>> With respect to the above ( re:hostility), would the suppression of hostility have the
> same toxic effects on the limbic system as the repression?  Am I right
> in thinking suppress and repress are two different things?

I think anger (an instinctive emotion usually part of the fight or flight
reaction, and natural for someone being abused or seeing a child being
abused, for example) when it is suppressed becomes repressed anger and
eventually rage. I think 'suppress' means the act of pushing down
feelings and 'repressed' refers to those feelings which were suppressed.
Repressed anger will have its way out in detox crises and then it can be
expressed as rage, often vicariously at the wrong person. The word
'hostility' probably fits the release of rage more so than the release of
healthy anger which can be confrontational and loving. Whether its anger
or rage we try to suppress, I believe in both cases it increases
toxicosis in the limbic system.

My best, Ellie