RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Stefan Jöst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Nov 2001 11:53:48 +0100
Hi Blake,

you said:
>The body has a requirment for sodium, but this need is easily met by any
>unrefined diet without any added salt of any kind.
>
>We have know underlying requirment for added salt.

That indeed is the question. Since I'm eating instinctively I found
sometimes that my body calls for additional salt. There are several
ways to satisfy this need:

a) eating dried seaweeds, they are veeeeery salty
b) eating dried fish or fresh fish or other seafood
   especially crabs are containing lots of salty water - a drink
   of sea water would be nearly equivalent (but I'm not living at
   the sea shore)
c) drinking salty mineral water from natural sources
d) licking on a natural salt crystal
e) taking natural sea salt

Sometimes e) is the easiest possibility.

>While I would not go as far as to say these products below are poison I do
>feel the optimum amounts of vinegar and Braggs is zero and the optimum
>amount of added salt is zero or very near zero.

I agree for vinegar and Braggs but disagree a little for salt. It happens
very rarely that I need it in this form. But it can happen so I wouldn't
exclude it beforehand.

>Also I do not feel that sea salt is significantly healthier as it still has
>the same major component, just because something is 'natural' does not mean
>it is healthy.

Sea salt contains    a l l    elements that exist on this planet! And it
is available in nature in the form of crystals or as sundried remaing at
sea shores. Therefore we should be adapted to consuming it.

Best salty regards,

Stefan