RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Wes Peterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Nov 1998 14:17:04 -0600
Dearest Liza,

> Wes, so far you have not provided a single reference. What you have done
> is quote out of some of the currently fashionable books in the popular
> literature, which you found in your health food store.

If the following messages I recently posted aren't references, then I
don't know what is:

---
Although not usually recognized, considerable protein destruction takes
place as foods are heated. This has been underscored by an editorial in
Nutrition News.

"It has been postulated the dry heat processing of proteins produces a
new lysine linkage which is either not digestible by enzymes or is so
slowly digested that lysine enters the blood stream too late to
participate with the rest of the assimilated amino acids in tissue
formation."

More severe heat damage to proteins results when moist heat is used.
When reducing sugars (e.g. glucose) are present, true destruction of
amino acids has been repeatedly corroborated. This destruction may
account for a loss of 50% of the lysine, arginine, tryptophan, and
histidine content.

Reference:
"Present status of heat-processing damage to protein foods". Nutrit.
Rev. 8: #7, 193-196, July 1950
---
A startling example of protein destruction during the cooking of food
was reported at the Mead Johnson Research Center in Evansville, Indiana.
It was discovered that the stockpile of survival biscuits and crackers
developed by the Office of Civil Defense for use in catastrophic
emergencies was significantly deficient in essential amino acid content.
Actually two-thirds of the lysine was destroyed presumably during the
baking of these foods.

Reference:
Longenecker, J. B. and Sarett, H. P. "Nutritional quality of survival
biscuits and crackers". Am. J. Clin. Nutrit. 13: #5, 291-296, November
1963.

I should also note that cooking creates carcinogenic and mutagenic
substances in proteins and fats. Cooked proteins and fats are full of
free radicals as well. Ingestion of cooked proteins and fats increases
entropy - accelerates the aging process, and contributes to a myriad of
disease processes.
---
Came across some information from Bruce Ames, regarding mutagenesis,
carcinogenesis and the degenerative diseases of aging...

Cooking food is plausible as a contributor to cancer. A wide variety of
chemicals are formed during cooking. Four groups of chemicals that cause
tumors in rodents have attracted attention because of mutagenicity,
potency, and concentration. a) Nitrosamines are formed from nitrogen
oxides present in gas flames or from
other burning. Surprisingly little work has been done on the levels of
nitrosamines in fish or meat cooked in gas ovens or barbecued,
considering their mutagenic and carcinogenic potency. b) Heterocyclic
amines are
formed from heating amino acids or proteins. c) Polycyclic hydrocarbons
are formed from charring meat. d) Furfural and similar furans are formed
from heating sugars. Heating fat generates mutagenic epoxides,
hydroperoxides, and unsaturated aldehydes, and may also be of
importance. Epidemiological studies on cooking are difficult and so far
are inadequate to resolve a carcinogenic effect in humans.

Humans also ingest large numbers of natural chemicals from cooking food.
For example, more than a thousand chemicals have been identified in
roasted coffee; more than half of those tested (19/26) are rodent
carcinogens. There are more natural carcinogens by weight in a single
cup of coffee than potentially carcinogenic synthetic pesticide residues
in the average U. S. diet in a year, and there are still a thousand
known chemicals in roasted coffee that have not been tested. This does
not necessarily mean that coffee is dangerous, but that animal cancer
tests and worst-case risk assessments build in enormous safety factors
and should not be considered true risks.