RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lisa Walford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 May 1998 16:24:30 -0700
Dear Lucia:

   Several posts recently have mentioned this Gerson organization.  From

>>Roberta wrote:

in the same publication, (gerson) but the 4/98 issue, Dr. William
Douglass

writes that OK oils and fats include: animal fats, coconut oil, sesame

oil, extra virgin olive oil.  Bad oils include soy, corn, safflower,

cottonseed, canola and peanut oils.>>

   I am really stunned at this info, although I have been one to advocate
tolerance, I am also aware of how gullible we all are.  There is
something authoritative about anything in print, and yet there is a derth
of info out there!  We have try to discern between qualitative info and
random ideas.  I think it was on this list, awhile back, that we
discussed "the nature of evidence".  While I don't necessarily need
controlled scientific studies to validate an idea, when I find
information such as these two posts that contradict contemporary studies
so grossly, I can't help but question the source.

   To the above on fats: animal fats and particularly coconut oil are
high in saturated fatty acids, the kind that lead to the blockage of
arteries; arteriosclerosis.  Canola oil, on the other hand, after extra
virgin olive oil, is the preferred monounsaturated fat.  The following is
from Environmental Nutrition, April 1998.

 ...At the same time, research suggeste the type of fat in the diet may
be even more important than the amount of fat.  <italic>We now know that
monounsaturated fats and omega-3 fats can be beneficial, in direct
contrast to the damaging effects of saturated fats, trans fats and
perhaps even omega-6 polyunsaturated fats.  </italic>As a result,
researchers are now questioning the most agreed upon nutiriotn doctrine
of recent years.  -cutting back on fat. <<(PS, this is difficult for me,
being a raw and calorie-restriction advocate, except in a few seeds,
nuts, avocados, and occasionally, olive oil, fats are not a part of my
diet)>

...Moreover, long-term studies show people can eat anywhere from 18% to
40% of calories from fat with littel effect on weight <italic>if
</italic>it contains the right balance of fats.

...Saturated fats: the chemical structures of these fats are chains
"saturated" with hydrogen moelcules.  That means damaging oxygen
moelcules hae no place to attach, making these fats less likely to be
oxidized and become rancid.  They're abundant in animal foods..."all
experts agree saturated fats need to be reduced in the American diet" J.
Judd, Ph.d USDA.

   There is much more to this article, no time to type it all in.  See
these on-line pages.  Take note, I am not contested meat in general,
there are cuts of meat that aare low in saturated fats.  The leanest cuts
are those which get the most exercise when the animal moves.  Chuck (neck
and shoulder), shank, (lower leg), belly (flank), and upper rear leg
(round). I don't eat meat, but this info is good.

http://www.medhelp.org/lib/conguide.htm  This is written in lay terms,
explains the different fats.  It is a bit dated, 1994, but worth the
time.

http://www.dietitian.com/fattyaci.html<italic>  </italic>

  See for yourself.  I would cease using this newsletter, Gerson as a
resource.