RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Mon, 6 Jul 1998 08:49:09 -0700
I have enjoyed reading the discussion re: dietary gurus. Christopher
mentioned that, despite their faults, the dietary gurus inspire some
folks to take action - at least some of which may be positive. Kirt
reminds us that the gurus often make wild/false claims about the effects
of their diets and ignore the harm their diets often cause (and said gurus
often develop massive egos as well).

Anyway, it seems to me that the discussion has not directly addressed
a central point. We know that several of the raw diet gurus are/were fakes,
hypocrites, or crazy. (That was discussed some weeks ago - ref: discussion
re: Arnold Ehret). The question then is, can one inspire others to take
positive action (improved diet), without engaging in the misrepresentation,
exaggeration, intellectual dishonesty, that characterize many past/present
raw "gurus"? Can you motivate change without dishonesty? Can you sell
the diet without lying?

My view is that it is indeed possible to advocate healthy eating, without
lying, without wild promises. It is also possible to promote healthy
eating, while putting people ahead of dietary dogma (the "gurus" regard
dogma as more important than the health of their followers). Not only is it
possible, I think the future of raw may ultimately depend on it, as lies
(e.g., crank science) and stealing (e.g., plagiarism) are not a firm
foundation for the future.

Others are welcome to post their thoughts on this topic. I am quite
busy working on a new web site, so have little time for list discussion
at present. Thus if I don't participate further in the discussion, please
do not take offense.

P.S. check out the sample articles at the new site I am involved in:
http://www.beyondveg.com
When the site opens in full in a few months, there will be a lot of
brand new, previously unpublished, material by me and others. I
think you will find it of interest; check it out!

Tom Billings