RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mark Hovila <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jul 1999 00:59:04 -0700
Hi Liza,

>Here's what you said, Mark. Maybe I misinterpreted??   :(   You
>said:
>"For what it's worth, I agree that one is not necessarily relatively
>healthy just because one is eating mostly raw food."

Well, there are of course many other factors in health besides diet -
environmental, genetic, exercise, attitude, etc.

>Well, I don't know if they'd DIE, :0, but I sure do agree with your
>point regarding the power of our beliefs to affect our health. :)
>For instance, in the case you've presented, the converse could also
>conceivably be true. Someone who had been conditioned to believe
>that meat is BAAAAAD could get very ill eating a delicious steak :)

I agree with that.

>So, how long would you say it took to pass this, and how big was it?
>Was it hard to retrieve? (I'm asking, because I'd like to tell your
>story - confidentially and anonymously of course - to others)

A few seconds, I think.  It was easy to retrieve -- it was floating.
It
was maybe three inches wide by a quarter to a half inch thick.  Kind
of
saucer-shaped.  I just put into the freezer until I got to the doc.

>Did you think it was cancer at the time?

I'm sure the thought crossed my mind, but I don't think I really
believed
it was cancerous.  But to be sure, I decided I had better have it
looked at.

>Yes, would it be possible to know? Thanks.

Final Diagnosis:
Bladder Tissue:  Papillary transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder,
Grade
II.  No evidence of invasion noted.
Comment:  The specimen is a papillary transitional cell carcinoma of
the
bladder, Grade II, and which does not demonstrate evidence of invasion
in
the material submitted.

Since you (and everybody else on this list) now know all about my
private
parts, I would like to ask:  What would be your purpose in telling my
story?
I don't object to you doing so, but do you see this as an illustration
of
the benefits of raw foods, evidence of delusions held by raw foodists,
pure
coincidence, or something else?  If your take is different than mine,
I'd be
curious about it.  The urologist I saw seemed incapable of drawing any
connection between my experience and my diet, but I have no doubts at
all.

>Well, it sounds like you LIKE this man, so now I don't know - do you
>really want to hear what he's done? I mean, I have no problem

Well, I like most people.  But if you have solid information on health
fraud
in the raw food movement, that seems perfectly appropriate for a list
like
this.  On the other hand, If it's rumor or unsubstantiated gossip, I
think
it's pretty unseemly to be discussing in a public forum, because you
may be
damaging somebody's reputation unfairly, not to mention risking being
sued.

>Is it a multi-level-marketing arrangement now? Or has it always
>been? I didn't know that.

I think it is now, but it hasn't always been.

>If you eat a lot of psyllium, and black stuff, the kind of stool
>you'll get (pardon me for being graphic) is black psyllium husks
>shaped like your colon. :)

I addressed this in another post.  It's a good question, but for the
reasons
I gave, as well as my strong feeling of being "cleaned out" and having
more
energy for several months afterward, I strongly doubt it.   But I'll
have to
do some looking to see what proof is out there.  If I'm wrong, I'll
admit
it.

>> I don't think you'll find much trusty evidence if you are dismissing
>> anybody who doesn't have an M.D. or a Ph.D after their name. Instead,
>> listen to totally unqualified people like me, who have no degrees
>
>:o  Hmmmm.  uh -    why?

I think the part you cut off answers that.  By the way, I'll have my
B.A. in
two weeks!  :)   I'm not against education.  I've been a student my
whole
life, in one way or another.

>Hmmmm. Even if they are well-known for dishonesty? Or pressing a
>personal agenda? Or for their pretentious posturing as some sort of
>artsy type who is on some higher spiritual plane due do their
>superior diet? =:0

There is always a justification for bad behavior.  My three-year old
daughter can always justify what she does because it's her
six-year-old
sister's fault, and vice versa.

>> Needless to say, our discussion of the nuclear problem came to an abrupt
>> and unpleasant end.

Sorry to be so obtuse.  I was trying to make a point about dealing
with the
discussion at hand and not dragging up stuff from the past as a way of
dodging the issues.  And no offense to Che Guevara fans, but my fling
with
Marxism ended a long time ago.

Mark