RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Loren Lockman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Sep 1999 03:01:47 EDT
Dear Paul, Tom, and All,

I am writing this at 1 am from a hotel room.  I'd have responded
sooner,
but have been traveling and in meetings all day.

Incidentally, today I ate 4 apples and 6 oranges.  A rather typical
day
for an all-fruit day.  On those 4 or 5 days a week that I eat a salad,
that large salad would replace either the apples or the oranges (or
whatever the fruit of the day is).

I completely understand that this is entirely outside of the
experience
of most, if not all of you.  I would have had trouble believing that
existing on this little food could be possible myself ten years ago -
even five!  I did not immediately begin to eat such a limited calorie
diet when I went all-raw vegan 8 years ago (actually 7 years, 10
months).
Instead, I just continued to listen to my body, and ate a little less
all
of the time.

That nutritional science believes this is not possible does not change
the fact that I, and several others (all raw vegans) that I know, do
it.

Many things are believed not possible until they are actually done.

The mechanism is actually quite simple here: As the body gets cleaner,
it  is able to much more efficiently use all of the food that it
receives.  The metabolism slows, and the requirement for calories
drops.

The fact that science may not accept something does not mean that it
doesn't happen.  It only means that science does not fully understand
the complete workings of the most complicated organism on the planet:
Us.
And any honest scientist would have to admit this is the case.

Regardless of what science "knows" or thinks it "knows," I know what
works for me, and most people who allow their bodies a chance to get
cleaned out. That I exist on 1000 calories or less is not debatable.
It is fact. Whether you choose to doubt the validity of this fact is
your business.

I had several semesters of physics at the US Air Force Academy and
have no idea what law of physics you refer to Tom, that I am
apparently
breaking. If there is such a "law," then it must be mistaken, because
true laws don't have exceptions.

Paul, I must respectfully disagree with you.  Tom has not done a good
job responding to me point by point.  I have not looked at the
suggested
website because time has not allowed it yet.  I have read everything I
have been able to find over the last 15 years, and have seen no
evidence
whatsoever that man is anything but a frugivore.

All of the anthropoid primates are frugivorous, and we share over
98.5%
of our genetic material with all of them.  Our digestive tracts are
identical. Are all the primates frugivores except man?  Does that make
any sense to anyone?

There is a law of science know as Nacham's Razor, and it says that all
other things being equal, the simplest explanation is usually true.

Here the simplest explanation is that all anthropoid primates are
frugivores, including man.

There are hundreds of papers that conclude that man is a frugivore.
The fact there is one paper, or many that disagrees with that
certainly
doesn't prove anything.  I challenge anyone to find one are of science
that's not controversial, one area that doesn't have "experts" with
completely opposite opinions, and who have "proved" their opinions in
their scholarly work.

In 6 months time of eating 75% raw, no processed food, all fresh fruit
and vegetables, the sickness and problems that had plagued me for
almost
3 years were gone, and I have not been sick since. The only exception
is
the time I ate what I thought was sprouted black bean hummus (all
raw),
only to find out later that the beans had in fact been cooked.  It
took
one day for my body to eliminate the stuff.  With that exception, I've
not suffered a cold, a headache, a stomach ache, a fever, or any other
"sickness."

Apparently, my body cleaned itself out pretty well in those first 6
months.

As I think I mentioned before, I also fast every few months for 3 to 7
days, and for 14 days at least once/year.  Undoubtedly, this has
helped
me keep my system clean.

Lynton, your concerns are well placed.  I do not eat, or advocate
eating
cruciferous vegetables.  I did not mention cabbage, and I said
broccoli
sprouts, not broccoli.  The sprouts are tiny little green plants,
properly
classified as leafy greens at that stage.

There has always been those who believe that alfalfa sprouts are bad,
and
there are those who have continued to eat them with no noticeable
problem.
As a negligible part of my diet, even if they did have the supposed
toxins,
it probably would be of little concern.

The oxalic acid in spinach (and some other greens) is not a problem
unless
those greens are cooked.

Finally, I think you misunderstood.  I do not eat mostly greens.  I
eat 4
or 5 salads per week.  The rest is fruit.  I do not advocate eating a
fruitarian (all fruit) diet.  And I have found that people need to
consume
more leafy greens when transitioning.  It is only the last 4 or 5
years
that my diet has been mostly fruit.

Most people start out consuming more nuts and seeds, but the desire
and
need for that usually diminishes over time, again, as the body cleans
out
and gets more efficient.

Thanks to those of you who rushed to correct some of the misstatements
that Tom had made.

Tom, if you are using dairy, I hope it's raw.  It's still not fit for
human consumption, but it's much better than pasteurized.  Even calves
won't live 6 months on pasteurized milk.  Either way, it's a mucous
forming food, and one which is designed for an animal that grows from
50
pounds at birth to 500 pounds in a year.  As a result, it has many
times
the fat and protein of human breast milk, which is the perfect food
for
a human in our fastest-growth rate period: infancy.

This, by the way, is another example which points out the difficulty
with your logic.  Most scientists and nutritionists today still think
dairy products are a valuable part of a human diet.  Many others of us
know that dairy products have no place in our diet.  The fact that
"experts" disagree about something is common and typical.

The fact that dairy consumption is directly correlated to disease
rates
and that the calcium in dairy is largely not bioavailable is something
that these "experts" either overlook, or don't understand.

In any case, I am clearly not going to convince you of anything.  You
will believe what you want to believe.  You will clearly not convince
me of what I know from my own experience is true.

I know your heart is in the right place.

Namaste,

Loren