RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Apr 1998 07:59:49 -0400
Rex Harrill <[log in to unmask]> WROTE:

>The woman died with SDS (Shy-Drager Syndrome), which is a combination of the
>rigidity of Parkinson's Disease combined with orthostatic hypotension.

This is in my Merck.

>According to the doctors at Johns Hopkins, there are several dozen other
>ultra-rare neurological diseases that exhibit Parkinsonism (rigidity or
>tremor).

The Merck does list parkinsonism as a symptom under SDS. I guess since it
is just a symptom, it doesn't get a listing in the index.

>I don't understand how gluten came into the discussion.

Because undiagnosed problems with gluten are often behind neurological
problems. One of the symptoms listed for Shy-Drager is cerebellar ataxia.
That is one of the possible neurological symptoms of undiagnosed gluten
problems. In Medline I find 26 articles on the connection between "ataxia
and celiac" over all the database years (six in the past two years). Some
of the other symptoms listed have a few hits when combined with celiac.

Don.