RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Stefan Joest <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Nov 1997 12:37:47 +0000
Hi Ellie,

you wrote:
>Has anyone had success with relief from sciatica on a raw food diet? I
>have thickened discs in my lower spine and bouts of sciatica from time
>to time. I've been hearing that glucosamine and chondroiten sulfate
>have helped rebuild cartilage and relieved symptoms of arthritis. Any
>opinions whether these nutrients would help sciatica?

No idea concercing nutrients.
But I know how different I felt after training the muscles of my back
and how much better I could bear to sit on a chair. So my two cents:

1. Do Yoga-Asanas that affect the spine: The headstand, the shoulder-
stand and Ardha Matsyendrasana (don't know the english name - perhaps
something like "the twisted seat"?)
Ask an M.D. if you can do them before and get the advice of an expe-
rienced Yoga teacher, especially for the headstand. The headstand is
not recommended for people with high liquid pressure in their eyes and
some other conditions.

2. Go to your local gym and ask a fitness professional for exercises
for the muscles of your back. Start slowly and with very low weights,
perhaps do the excercises first without any weigths.

Attack these things slowly and never force your body to do something.
Listen to the signals of your body.

Best regards,

Stefan

E-Mail: [log in to unmask]