RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Apr 1997 19:47:25 +0200 (MET DST)
Christopher:

>        But was this due to eating too much fruit? because we did lose
>weight - which makes so I might have gotten more oil had we eaten more of
>the other foods rather than dried & fresh fruit.  Have I hit the ideal diet
>on the nose? I'm asking you if this is the track to a healthy raw food
>diet?  Or is there more to the diet and in different proportions for the
>diet other than what I suggested is ideal for someone, that is eating more
>sprouts, greens, nuts and seeds, and less fruit?

Don't worry if your diet is not "ideal" right at the beginning, very few
are able to switch to raw food without coping with many problems (that's
what our list is here for).

Losing weight is normal at the beginning, since your body has to detoxify
(get rid of old cells) and adapt to the new diet (maybe produce
the correct enzymes and/or build the intestinal flora?). For me, it took
2 months before I began to gain weight, although I was relatively
healthy, young (24) and omnivorous (vegans tend to be thinner). But
don't worry, if your diet is balanced, your weight will be back to normal
within a few months. Just be patient; you are lucky enough to be part of
a group of raw-fooders, so that you can motivate each other.

Grains may be difficult to eat at the beginning. The easiest for me are
lentils, mung beans and peanuts but everyone is a particular case. At
first, I couldn't eat more than 2-3 tablespoons of sprouted cereals, but
it quickly became a habit, so that I didn't even have to think about
chewing.

Excess of fruits is a common problem. Dried fruits may be important to
prevent frustrations, cravings, but easily lead to overeating. Here are
a few suggestions: 1) Do not buy dried fruits; eat fresh fruits instead.
2) Do not eat fruits at every meal 3) When you plan to eat sprouts,
begin your meal with them, so that you can eat more of them. 4) Do not
use too much oil, it slows down digestion, and it is not necessary if you
regularly eat avocados or nuts or olives or oleaginous seeds.

Best wishes,

Jean-Louis