RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lucia Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Dec 1998 15:01:57 -0500
> Sidney Davis wrote:
>
> > Stay in the cold for 5 or 6
> > seconds then turn the cold off and turn back to the hot on again as hot as
> > you can stand it. Boy does that FEEL GOOD! When you are red ( I know some
> > of us don't get "red") and hot and flushed again  hit your self with cold
> > again.
>
> What is the reason for this? Sounds a little uncomfortable.
>
> Liza

this sounds like basic hydrotherapy techniques, alternating hot and cold
water, to stimulate blood flow to and away from an area, which helps
cleanse the area. Hot and cold sitz baths are often recommended for women
with fibroids or infertility problems. Benedikt Lust wrote a very
interesting little pamphlet about water treatments and used to have a
sanitarium in New Jersey I believe. Apparantly there were many such
sanitariums for various kinds of water cures in the 1920s and 30s. It's my
understanding they were shut down in the 1940s by the medical
establishment but I haven't been able to find much information on why or
how. I've always been interested to know about this.

One of Lust's pamphlets describes a method that I use now and then, and is
very comfortabe since it does not alternate hot and cold. You really need
a special shower built for this, which he had, but I make do best I can in
my regular shower. Lie or sit, rathr than stand, under a running shower,
with the water as hot as you can tolerate. I put a piece of bubble wrap
under me to lie on (I also use when I take baths). If you can fit it, a
water mattress would be better. The point is to have the hot/warm water
drop on you from quite a height so it stimulates your skin as it falls.
This stimulates blood circulation and is very refreshing when done for an
extended period of time. If you are lying in a comfortable position, it is
pleasurable and relaxing and can be done for hours on end. Keep the room
well ventilated because the steam will build up. Turn as you please to
have the water fall on all different parts of your body (bottom of your
feet, back or your thighs, back of the neck, small of the back, etc.). If
you're trying to heal a particular part, then let it fall on that part. He
recommends doing this for 8 hours straight. I have done it easily for a
couple hours. but my tub is just too cramped to make it enjoyable for
longer than that. sounds wierd at first I know but it's really refreshing
and not uncomfortable at all, unless you are very cramped. I sure wish
those sanitariums still existed.

Lucia