RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Nov 1998 10:12:35 +0100
Taylor,

> This may seem like an ignorant question, but what are the problems with
> a diet like The Zone? Isn't that basically a paleodiet? What would be
> the problem eating 40-30-30, or just making sure to keep your blood
> sugar level balanced at all meals?

I think your questions would be more appropriate on the Paleofood
list? Anyway, here are a few thoughts.

Paleo-dieters (or prehistoric humans) don't necessarily have something
"balanced" at each meal, but restricting total carbohydrate, and
eating mainly low glycemic index ones, ensures that the blood sugar
level stays normal.

> The reason I'm asking, is because The Zone isn't ever mentioned on this
> list, and maybe I'm imagining it, but it seems like its not very well
> looked upon, for some reason.

It's difficult to eat raw and 40/30/30 at each meal. Raw vegetarian
sources of protein are not concentrated enough, and people who eat raw
meat or fish often use food combining rules (and thus have a meal
consisting mainly of protein and fat).

> Likewise for Atkins' diet (similar to Zone), or the other high protein
> diets.

Atkins is different, because it is ketogenic (total daily carbohydrate
is less than about 10%). Impossible to reach on raw food, unless you
are willing to eat like an Eskimo.

> Also, related question, it seems there are people on this list that eat
> high protein diets. What about
> 1. uric acid,
> 2. acidity of the blood and system,
> 3. ketosis,
> 4. calcium excretion?

Some of these issues have been discussed on the Paleodiet list.

--Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>