RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Liza May <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 May 2000 17:59:47 -0400
Norman:
> "discretion is the better part of valor".  Valor is both bravery (the
> inclination to act ... enthusiasm) and wisdom (the influence of all of our
> knowledge, experience and feelings ... judgement).

Valor is not wisdom, according to the dictionary. Valor is simply
another word for bravery or courage (all synonyms). It is a bit of a
loftier or fancier term. But valor simply means bravery.

The precise quote (from Shakespeare's Henry IV) is: "The better part
of valour is discretion; in the which better part I have saved my
life."

Norman:
> What's wrong with enthusiasm?  Most enthusiasm is not accompanied by
> sufficient discretion.  Either knowledge, experience or feelings are
> lacking, in most instances.

The definition of enthusiasm: "excited, passionate or engrossing
interest."

For me, young children have always served as a model of the best of
human behavior. I'm most proud of the parts of my personality that
have stayed intact - like a young child's. (People who aren't as
fond of me as I am of myself might call me "Developmentally Delayed"
- or, when they know me better - "Extremely Immature" - or, if they
REALLY know me - "Nuts").

If you have children, or know a lot of children, you've seen that
children do many things that adults regard as "foolhardy" and in
which, from an adult view, they haven't "shown enough discretion."

And as far as enthusiasm goes, children are much more enthusiastic
about most everything, without anywhere near the boatloads of "adult
discretion" that adults (unfortunately) practice.

Children are much braver ("valiant" "valor") than adults, too  -
scaring their parents and teachers half to death when they don't
practice enough "discretion" - daring to do things that would scare
the pants off of most grownups.

So I don't agree with Shakespeare's Falstaff. I think 500 years of
timid adults jumped (with great ENTHUSIASM) on this well-crafted
phrase - and have used it to justify their lack of courage.

I'd much rather see someone brave and stupid, then someone who
deliberates and deliberates and deliberates because he doesn't want
to get hurt, or make a mistake.

Love Liza