RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Dr. Jerry Knox BA, DC" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Jun 1998 02:57:39 EDT
<< It's important to remember, however, as Erasmus stresses, that flax oil
 cannot be the only source of fat in our diets as it is too high in W-3 fatty
 acids.  It's great as a supplement to a diet that includes nuts and seeds.
 If one doesn't eat nuts and seeds then hemp seed oil gives the proper
 balance of W-3 and W-6 EFA's.

Maybe we have different versions of his book. The one I have Fats & Oils,
specificly says that all we need are the two 3 chain fatty acids, that are
present in flax seed oil in a high concentration, and that these are usually
deficient in a typical western diet. I dont have my books with me at present,
so I cant pull it out and quote it directly. Specificly the human body can
make the 6 acids from the three ones, so that is a pure state is we got only
flax seed oil we would survive, since these two oils can be used as building
blocks by humans to build all the other fatty acids needed. In truth we never
avoid all fatty acids, so that there are plenty of good sources of them, nuts
and seeds of course. I dont believe hemp oil is essiential, but it is a good
source of essiential fatty acids as well. The difficulty of that one, and as
Erasmus states in his book, is that hemp oil--- Marijuana seed oil is illegal
in some places, so that commercially pushing it is not without some
difficulty, and potential problems, while flax seed oil is much less of a
political or ethical hot potato. Some diets which were very good in other
ways, the Pritkin diet for one are too low on essiential fatty acids and some
problems have occured from that. The big problem is that fats are much more
dangerous than other things in our diet. There are rancidity, trans fatty
acids, carcinogenic fats etc. The cold pressed, oil in black bottles from the
health food store are pretty good, and the store I use does sell hemp oil now.
These are more healthful, than the supermarket oils, and they are the only
oils in my kitchen.

thanks, Jerry