RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ellie Rotunno <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Sep 1997 02:54:39 -0700
More on denaturation of protein. When most of the protein molecule is
denatured, apx 60-70 C. or above 160 F, the chemical bonds are not
broken, only the ordered conformation of the molecule changes to a randon
disordered conformation. This means that when denatured protein is
digested by enzymes in the body, amino acids are formed, but the
denatured food (cooked) would probably not have active enzymes to
self-digest the food
during aging or in the stomach when eaten live. So I think the advantage
of raw live food would be that it spares the bodily enzymes. I also read
that some enzymes are denatured by freezing, others not. Other factors
may be involved with whether a particular enzyme is denatured, such as
the nature of the substrate, pH, other chemicals, maybe spices, etc. I'm
no expert on this, just trying to learn from a book I'm reading.

My best, Ellie