RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Paul Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Jun 1999 11:07:21 -0400
There seems to be a common idea that when one is finding a raw diet
too
weakening, and Jo just mentioned this idea in response to Axel, that
steaming of vegetables can be of benefit rather than eating them raw.
Is
this a valid rationale, or are there other rationales for steaming? I
really strongly question the idea of health benefits of steaming as
opposed to eating the same vegetables raw, other than the usual social
issues - like the ability to be able to eat a meal in, say, a chinese
restaurant where they serve nothing raw but will serve steamed
vegetables
from the 'health' menu.

I can see steaming possibly as part of a transition from SAD to a
mostly
or all-raw diet, or for someone whose digestive system is so
dysfunctional
from life-long poor foods that they just can't yet digest raw
vegetables.

Of course my perspective is colored by own experience - the bad way my
body reacts to steamed veggies (or veggies in soups) when the same
foods
eaten raw cause no problem but rather have lead to health improvement.
This
is complicated by the fact I don't have these reactions to lightly
cooked
organic meat, cooked potatoes, or even tofu, which I ate this morning
with
a salad.

Also, has anyone tried waterless cookware? Supposedly this allows for
cooking with less oxidation and nutrient loss.

Paul