RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Dec 1997 00:12:00 -0600
Moira:
>I have a question, do you think you can "starve" out yeast through diet, or
>do you think an antifungal is needed? Right now I have my son on a very low
>carb diet but he does get fruit. Basically, he is on paleo, with meat, fish,
>fruit, veggies, nuts, etc but no gluten or any other disaccharide such as
>rice or potatoes. I am thinking of putting him on some grapefruit seed as
>well.

I think that diet can do it alone if low enough in carbs and done for long
enough time. However, accomplishing this might pose a problem for some,
especially children, so I recommend using one of the known, natural
antifungals as well such as grape seed extract.  Fungal medication such as
nystatin I would only use under extreme circumstances or as temporary
relief. The diet you are giving your son looks very good especially if you
can keep the consumption of fruit down which I am sure must be a challenge
at times. I think it is great that he has developed a taste for pemmican,
and I do not think that he can get enough of this food. One item I would
definitely add is a high quality probiotic to help rebalance the dysbiotic
intestinal flora.

You are doing an incredible job!  Keep us posted on your son's progress.

Best, Peter