RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ellie Rotunno <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Nov 1997 02:03:20 -0800
Liza May wrote:

> If the compounds that are making the veggie taste bad when raw are
> destroyed by cooking, making the veggie then taste good (like a protease
> inhibitor for example),

I wonder if the toxins are really destroyed, or just changed to some
other toxic chemicals that have no bad taste??

Liza,
why are you concerned that there is something else who's bad taste

> is now masked by the cooking? Are you concerned about entirely new toxic
> compounds that have been created?

Yes, according to Burger in Instinctive Eating theory, when you cook a
potato, hundreds of new compounds are formed that have no nutitional
value and are toxic. So, I wonder if the benefits of cooking to make
things more digestible, for example, outway the increased toxins in those
cooked foods. Some say we may have adapted to cooked foods, and it seems
to be an individual thing that can only be resolved by
self-experimentation. I'm still eating all raw food, but I want to be
open to change and hope to learn more from those who are trying cooked
food now.

>Liza,
> Here's a question for you, and others: Maybe you have read that I am
> fasting (today is Day 6). What experience and thoughts do you have with
> colonics and enemas while fasting?

I did a 15 day water fast about four years ago, and while I don't regret
it, I agree with Ward about fasting, and now prefer to try to eat more
nutritiously. It doesn't sound to me like a good idea to do colonics or
enemas when fasting. I made the mistake of not resting enough when I
fasted and I nearly fainted in public. Are you being supervised by
someone with experience in fasting?

My best, Ellie