RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 30 May 95 15:38:09 SET
OK, now I am ready to eat sprouts by the bucket and want to know how.
I do already eat greens-only, lettuce-free salads in a bowl that, when
we have people at home, serves ten, so I think I am not scared by the
idea. But:

- grain sprouts are very tough to chew. Do I limit myself to sprouted
  beans? With the exception of wheat, they can even be somewhat bitter.
  Do the pros follow the basic tenets of vegetarian nutrition when
  eating sprouted food (ie, mostly grains, with a bit of pulses)?

- with few exceptions, pulses skins cannot be easily eliminated. They are,
  I believe, what gives people gas, and now they are not even cooked.
  What do you do?

- I assume radish and mustard work best in mixture with other sprouts,
  giving spice to the whole dish. I do prepare lentil, soy, radish
  sprouts salads. Any other idea?

- what is your typical range of living food (and of sprouts in particular)
  in percentage of calories? Which care should one take (like in
  vegetarianism, where golden rules say you should eat mostly whole
  grains, and some superveggies and pulses every day)?
  Staples you recommend?

- I have seen for myself that sprouts are, in small quantities,
  very digestible and make the rest of the meal more digestible
  as well. I am sure it is because of the enzymes. Comments?

- Which vitamins typically increase in concentration when going
  from seed to sprout? By how much, typically?

G.B.