RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ellie Rotunno <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 May 1997 21:00:19 -0700
Sheila Shea wrote:

> "Autistic Syndrome" A Medical Problem

Thanks, I will ask him for a reprint.

Ellie wrote:>
> >Certainly mental disorders are diseases as physical as any other and the
> >supposedly different mental disorders are the same process of detox
> >that vary in symptomology only because of the location of toxicosis. This
> >includes most of the nervous disorders not always thought of as mental
> >disease, such as Parkinson's and Alzheimer's. Herbert Shelton was one who
> >repressed his emotions as a child and developed Parkinson's because
> >toxicosis was probably concentrated in the region of the substantia
> >nigra.

 Sheila:

> What is that region, substantia nigra?

One of the many basal ganglia or clusters of nerve cell bodies between
the brain stem and cortex in the limbic region thought to be involved in
the expression of emotions. (the repression of emotions like anger is
causal for addictions, including food addictions)
Also involved in Alzheimers would be the amygdaloid body and hippocampus
thought to be mostly involved with short term memory, but everything is
connected. Alzheimers patients have lesions of mamillary bodies, anterior
and dorsal medial nuclei of the thalamus, etc. This is why there is such
an interlap of symptoms. People with Alzheimers usually develop other
psychiatric symptoms and may well have food addictions too.

> Sheila:
> What kind of therapy do you find best for yourself? I feel that my abusive
> toilet training and emotional neglect set up the ensuing physical,
> emotional, and mental disorders that are being healied now. I do the best I
> can with diet and I am open to the best emotional mental therapies.
>
> What is your take on eating disorders? I've had anorexia in college and
> bulimia  starting in my 20's. I began the vegan/living food diet back in
> 1974. I'm about 50-99% living daily.

Eating disorders are related to the food addiction; addictions are caused
by the repression of emotions like anger related to childhood trauma.
Alice Miller has some suggestions in her recent edition (94) of Drama of
The Gifted Child) I am in touch with her by phone. Emotional neglect is
abusive, sounds like you have repressed anger related to that abuse. I
did. I hope you can get your anger out at whoever abused you, perhaps in
therapy you can do this.

I went to twelve step programs e.g. A. A. and  O. A. briefly for my food
addiction, but I am strongly oppposed to using the twelve step programs
exclusively or for very long. All addicts are co-dependent which is the
underlying basic disease. I then went to Co-Dependents Anon (CODA)and
Adult Children of Alcoholics,(ACOA) both rather new programs and not yet
well established, but they helped for a while.  ACOA is better than CODA.
ACOA would be better named Adult Children From Dysfunctional Famalies, or
better yet Adult Children With Repressed Emotions. The best therapy, and
I highly recommend this, was at a week long residential program at The
Caron Foundation in Wernersville, PA (1-800-678-2332). I had never
experienced the love I recieved there. They have all kinds of programs
for food problems, Bulimia, etc. but the one that really speeded my
recovery was their "Co-dependency Treatment for Adult Children From
Dysfunctional Families." After that I continued for a while in group
therapy aimed at the release of emotions related to childhood tramua.
There are lots of people at ACOA meetings who know good therapists,
(cannot be talking therapy.. it doesn't work). I think raw food and
cassia also help the detox. I'm no longer in therapy but share my
feelings constantly with close friends who are doing this work of freeing
themselves of repressed emotions, and as a result of this I am freeing
myself of addictions and other mental problems. I no longer need any
twelve step programs. The brain is constantly trying to detox and the
best way I can help it is to make sure I direct my anger at the right
source in a healthy way. It doesn't mean everyone who makes me angry gets
confronted. Sometimes I just bang with a pillow on the bed or tell a
friend. But if I suppress my anger my neurons get clogged up and toxic.
The anger will come out vicariously later as symptoms.

My best, Ellie