RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Elnora Van Winkle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Dec 1998 04:30:11 -0800
Liza May wrote:

> I would think that it still would be possible even for people eating all
> unprocessed or all raw foods to develop diabetes, if their diet was
> "lopsided" enough, and they were susceptible to pancreas and
> insulin-system problems. For instance, I could see a fruitarian
> developing diabetes, or, someone on a raw diet who continually binged on
> honey and dates and dried fruit and other "natural" sweet things, etc.
> Why are you thinking that such a scenario is not possible?

I think you are right if fruitarians binge on even natural sweet things.
Excess vital nutrients are toxic. I'm puzzled about this sugar issue.
Perhaps natural sugar in excess contributes to late onset diabetes, but
I suspect that refined sugar and other toxic substances are the major
culprits. It's likely to be a matter of degree, don't you think. Even
though as you say foods are broken down into small molecules, perhaps
the nature of these molecules after processing or cooking, for example,
the findings about AGEs (advanced glycation endproducts) formed in
cooking and then contributing to vascular disease, or perhaps stereo
configurations are different and therefore toxic. I suspect there is
some truth to the theory that good nutrients flush out the old bad.
Sometimes when I introduce a new tasty food, I have detox events.

> > What I
> > think Aajonus has found is that people who use his diet need less
> > insulin, but I doubt if it has to do with eating honey.
>
> I think what it has to do with is that his diet is primarily non-sugar
> things, (am I right? - haven't read his book - but I get the impression
> there's not a lot of fruit or other sweet things in it, outside of
> honey).  I think Aajonus' diet helps control diabetes for the same
> reason Atkins' diet, and Sears' Zone diet, and other high-protein diets
> are effective - there's not a lot of sugar.

Yes, it appears so.

My best, Ellie