RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Coleman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Apr 96 03:00:40 PDT
>comments by [log in to unmask]:
>Water in the stomach is quickly squeezed out and passes down narrow
>channels on the walls of the gut, thus exiting rapidly. Thus water may
>not affect digestion in the way you suggest. I find myself quite able
>to digest (not much discomfort) my 20% cooked up stuff so long as I am
>sensible. You use the term "high", but what is the reference?

TB>Water is squeezed out, but not all. Even the powerful hydraulic press
>of the Norwalk juicer can't get all the water out; your stomach removes
>only part of the water before beginning digestion. Common sense
>suggests that juicy fruit, which is 90+% water, will retain more water
>than sprouted wheat, sprouted sunflower seeds, dry nuts/seeds (all of
>which are much lower than 90% in water), after the "water extraction"
>phase. Thus at start of digestion, fruit will have more water than the
>other named foods, hence the use of the word "high", for comparison.
>Examination of fecal matter from an all fruit meal, versus an all
>sprout meal, may support the above claim: fruit feces are bulky and
>wetter than sprout feces.

That water stuff is interesting. I would feel happier if the high/low
stuff related to a fixed quantity that meant something a little more
tangible, that is why I ask. Is a "higher" water/fruit diet healthier,
do I get to spend less time digesting and more time exercising?

JC>It's not really the protein but rather the concentration.

TB>That may be a factor. I would like to expand on my comments above.
>Sweet foods, except when eaten in excess, tend to depress the
>production of stomach acid and liver bile, the two main "fires" of your
>digestive system.

I don't think anything is depressed, just not required. If I eat fruit
I don't produce or need much bile. Since bile is broken down red blood
cells, my blood system may be better for it.

hmmm....more mindfood, thanks Tom,

J.C