RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jan 1998 09:39:37 -0500
Frank Wuts said:

>My theory of the loose stools, is that with more raw fruits and veggies you
>get more Vitamin C intake. It is known that a lot of Vitamin C will cause
>loose stools. Does loose stools imply incomplete digestion or is there simply
>more water content in the stools?

I don't think that vitamin C is the cause. I agree that some people on megadoses
of vit. C (10 grams/day) have experienced loose stools, but even if you eat 2 kg
oranges/day, you won't get more than 1 gram of vit. C.

If you have loose stools because you eat too much fruit, don't think you are
detoxifying and that the situation will improve. In fact, it will probably
worsen. In my case, after 7 months of ~60% fruit, my stools not only became
loose, but actually liquid! The only way I could correct that was by limiting my
fruit intake.

Some fruits are more difficult to handle than others, due to the high water and
fibre content. Concentrated fruits, like dates, are OK. But eatin too many dates
is not a good thing.

Best wishes,

Jean-Louis