RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Robert W. Avery <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Oct 1996 23:34:09 EDT
Dear Meredith,
	I knew that name sounded familiar.  I just finished reading your
inaugural letter in the M2M; enjoyed it a lot.  My sister Eileen is an
artist too, and I was born in Boston (moved away at age 7).

	Sugarwise (and we're talking all natural fruit sugar here, not
Ward's Dr. Pepper), the first thing I noticed was difficulty digesting
concentrated protein foods, first bee pollen, then nuts/seeds.  Stools
became mushy and chronic flatulence developed.  I then became vitamin
B-12 depleted.  If you decide to catch up on some of the M2M back issues,
the whole saga is in there, starting with my debut issue, #8.

	If you want to cut down and don't want to start with a fast (the
best way), then try eating non-sweet fruit like cukes or celery or
lettuce first before your sweet fruit.  I know this sounds like backwards
food combining, but it worked for me (except when the fruit was melon).
Also, every time you eat fruit, follow it with something slow-digesting
like nuts, seeds, or grains (I prefer them soaked overnight and rinsed).

	Raw milk cheese (I assume you mean cow's milk?) would just be
trading heart disease/atherosclerosis for pancreatitis, hyper-/
hypo-glycemia.  Paavo Airola, who wrote the health diet book "Are You
Confused?" and other health books was himself confused.   He died at age
68 of a stroke brought on by regular consumption of raw goat's milk
cheese, which is less lethal than raw cow's milk cheese.

	Yeah, I used to take liquid lecithin.  It comes from soybeans.
It goes rancid quickly, and if you keep it in the fridge, it solidifies
and becomes impossible to pour.  If I were to want lecithin nowadays for
some reason or another, I'd just buy some soybeans, soak them overnight,
rinse and eat.  A very cheap and fresher way to get lecithin.

	Bland rutabaga?  Interesting.  My farm-fresh organic (biodynamic)
rutabagas are kind of strong-tasting, sort of like radishes.

	Tongue eruptions are often a symptom of detox.  They should go
away eventually (or faster if you fast; that's why it's called fasting!).

	I no longer longer use toothpaste.  What other animal does?  It's
just another commercial scam.  I hope your toothpaste does not contain
fluoride!

	I haven't looked for the G.I. on the Web yet, but I'll bet you
could find it yourself by training a search engine on "glycemic index".
Let me know what you find.  There's also a chart in M2M#18 p64 of some
foods.