RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Michael Clingman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Feb 1997 00:36:01 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 19 Feb 1997, Patricia Rathbone wrote:

> Okay, so make
> that question "What is the lazy person's equivalent in the raw world?" :-)

These are some of the thing I do that don't require a whole lot of effort.

Purchase fresh cultured vegetables - Rejuvenative Foods brand is more
available in the west and Sunja's in the east.  These are very high in
enzymes and aid digestion.  Especially useful if you are eating cooked
foods.  The live culture will aid in the digestion of the cooked foods.

A quick snack for me (as of yesterday) is some Sunja's medium spicy kim
chi followed by two raw eggs.  Almost no work involved in preparing or
cleaning up for this.

Another thing I do is put sesame seeds, either mechanically hulled or
unhulled, in a bowl to soak overnight - about 6-8 hours.  In the morning I
drain the water, put the seeds in the blender, add water, blend it up.
Then add frozen purchased fruits - like rasberries, blueberries - and then
frozen bananas.  ( I buy large quantities of bananas and, when they are
ripe, peal them, place them in pastic bags, and put them in the freezer.)
If you add the right amount of water you get a smoothie with a really nice
consistency.  If you want you can add enzyme supplements.  I used to
include dates for more sweetness but find I don't really need them.  So
this is some work but not a whole lot after you get the procedure down.

Another thing is soaking walnuts in a bowl overnight - about 12 hours.
The next morning drain the water, add raisins to absorb any water
that's left, and put it in some container that won't leak.  I just put a
saucer over top of the bowl, put it in a plastic bag with a spoon, and use
a twist tie to close the bag tight, keeping the saucer on top of the bowl.
This seems to make a pretty satisfying snack.  It will keep for a few
hours without refrigeration.

A similar thing I do is to soak sunflower seeds overnight - about 6-8
hours.  Drain them and store them in a bowl like the walnuts.   I usually
refrigerate these.  Without refrigeration they will start to grow and need
oxygen.  Then just eat them as is.  (An aside here.  The organic
sunflower seeds haven't been all that clean this year.  So be a little
careful when eating.)  I usually follow them with an apple.

Something else, which I haven't had for awhile, is an apple juice
smoothie.  Put fresh, unpasturized apple juice/cider in the blender.  Add
fresh or frozen cranberries.  Blend up and then add frozen bananas and
blend some more.  This is also really good with fresh peaches or plums.

So these don't require much work but do have to plan in advance and put
stuff out to soak the night before.  I can't really tell you that these
are optimal things to eat or anything but they are relatively simple to
prepare.  Some people enjoy preparing elaborate dishes, but I'm not one of
them.

Michael