RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Frank Wuts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Sep 1997 21:01:27 -0700
Jean-Louis Tu wrote:
> It has long been an intruguing fact to me that most raw-food eaters are thin, a few
> underweight and a few slightly overweight but virtually no one seriously
> overweight. One of the myths of raw food is that, as cooked food is toxic, it
> exceeds the capacity of elimination of the body and thus, the body stores the
> toxins in fat tissues, waiting for better days. Proof: everyone knows that
> toxins accumulate in fat, and it is a commonly observed fact that many people
> who have switched to raw food lose weight and have detox reactions. While that
> argument makes sense, it seems a bit weak to me because

>  *We don't know if it's true that toxins created by cooking (like AGEs,...)
> accumulate in the body to the point that it becomes difficult for the body to
> manage them.
>  *Some weight loss programs work well, despite being mostly cooked (like the
> Zone, low-carb diets...).

> So why are raw-fooders thin? Here I propose a few explanations. As usual, it is
> of course largely speculative.

I am a slender person who has been increasing my raw food and RAF intake
for a few months. I'll tell you why I think I lost weight. Most cook food comes in
fixed portions.  The size is either set by the restaurant or by the home cook. I tend to
clean my plate because I don't like to waist. This is especially true of meat that had
to die for me to eat. On raw food I eat only until I am satisfied. If I got hunger
later I snack on more raw food. On cooked food I felt I had to eat enough to hold me
over to the next meal since I never snacked.

Frank.