RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 19 Nov 1996 18:22:46 +0000
> Did Price state that animal protein was necessary, or did he say
> seafood was essential?  I seem to recall the latter, & didn't he
> describe some Andean people who go to lengths to obtain seaweed to
> supplement their diet?  It's been a long time since I read him.

Actually, according to Dr. Bass, Price says we need items on a
regular basis from any one of four kingdoms. To quote from Dr. Bass's
book _In Search of the Ultimate Diet_:

"Anyway, his conclusion was that in order for the body to produce a
healthful skeleton and be free from disease and deformity, there had
to be present in the diet protein from any of four kingdoms:
     1. The first kingdom, seafood. Probably due to the high mineral
content from the ocean, Price found that the skeletons were marvelous
from those races that lived close to the water and ate seafood.
     2. The second kingdom, meat or fowl.
     3. The third kingdom, dairy, the milk of animals.
     4. The fourth kingdom, the insect kingdom, which is actually a
high quality protein.
     "Along with food from the vegetable kingdom, primitives had to
have protein from any one of the above four kingdoms to be
successful. If they didnt' then problems developed. That was Dr.
Price's conclusion."

I personally don't like the idea of eating flesh and so for the most
part I don't do it. If I get a hankering for say a can of tuna fish,
then I eat a can of tuna fish. Well, actually, I take the tuna out of
the can, eat the tuna, and then dispose of the can.

In preparing an interview with Dr. George Malkmus, I asked him some
questions about needing flesh, and as I understand his preliminary
answer, he contends that we can get along without it IF we supplement
with BarleyGreen. I have been experimenting with his suggestions for
three months or so now and am having excellent results. Bass contends
that it takes anywhere from 5 to 15 years for deficiency problems to
show up. So I dunno the answer...

> I think the Taoists have a lot to offer here, in that some people
> may be more adapted to a diet containing meat, while others do best
> without it.  It is something you have to determine for yourself.

I agree 100%. Each of us has to find his/her correct path. Blindly
following the party line of whatever school of thought benefits only
those who happen to be constitutionally fitted to that particular
party line, IMHO.

> I personally am now drinking raw milk & occasionally eat raw cheese.
> But I do not think these are necessary for optimal health (which I
> define as not only keeping you free from disease, but also extending
> your lifespan to the maximum extent) nor that they are necessarily
> the best things for me to eat.  But I'm human.

I'm still eating cheese because I love the darn stuff. It continues
to clog me up every time I eat it. The cause and effect is painfully
obvious, but I continue to eat it on occasion because I like it. Go
figure. Guess I'm human too. Hell, I'm probably more human because I
like to have a vanilla softserve Dairy Queen every once in a while
too.

> I am puzzled by what I see as an unwarranted effort to amend the NH
> unwritten constitution as it has developed in recent decades to one
> which says raw vegetarian is O.K., but we have to mix in a little
> cooked or a little animal.  I just don't get it, & never have.

The NH diet has needed a close looking at for ages. Tilden,
Shelton's teacher in so many respects, did not advocate a vegetarian
diet and had his patients achieve their superior health with meat, milk,
and cheese. He stressed moderation in consumption, which, in my
experience at this point, seems a lot truer to me than the
Sheltonian fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds bit. Lest someone give
me the old "Well, Shelton worked himself to death" bit, I wouldst
remind them that Tilden died in his mid-nineties (if I remember
correctly), still working strong at his health center in Denver. He
got up around 4:30 every morning to keep his monthly health
publication going. Shelton was sick the last decade of his life;
Tilden worked 'til the day he dropped. So it goes.

> again, I sometimes (as I am doing now) eat dairy products.  I'm weak
> in this regard & I admit it.  But there is no way anybody is going
> to convince me that I need animal products, & I suspect that there
> may not be any humans who need them & that all of us would do best
> without any cooked or animal foods.

May I please urge you to stop thinking of yourself as weak or strong
and may I also urge you to not engage in "no way anybody is going to
convince me that I need..." mindsets. If you don't keep your mind
open, you miss have the intellectual fun of life.

And that's my two-bits worth for today. :-)
 http://members.GNN.COM/chetday/open.htm