RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ombodhi thoren st john <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 03 Nov 1996 07:24:53 -0800
> Brewer's yeast has lots of minerals, which is what I think your
> body may be after.  Since all nutritional yeast is cooked (pasteurized),
> let me suggest you pig out on seaweed instead.  If you've never had dulse
> and nori, try them; you might find them just as delicious as the yeast
> without all the heat-damaged proteins.
>         Does anyone listening in here know if raw food yeast is
> obtainable?  It might be illegal to sell it on the U.S. for fear of
> giving people yeast infections.

bonjour bob!
		i gave up the yeast last year when i heard it underwent
pasteurization.  immediately & inexplicably, i bought some active dry yeast.
 it sits in my reefer door, the three joined packages of .7 grams each (1/4
ounce).  red star claims to have the original all natural yeast, and they do
put a "for best results use by:" date on the back (mine logs in at may 1,
1997).  i haven't ventured forth into the wild world of actually eating the
stuff, but i've got a toll-free number to offer those who want to get more
information from red star yeast & products -- 1.800.445.4746 #4
	i still go through phases of wrapping everything in a nori roll, or
whole meals of soaked, peeled almonds with dulse.  sea weed.  sea vegetable.
 sea fruit?  sea nut?  sea legume?  sea meat --> sea food!  ocean veggie.

incoherently,
	     bodhi