RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lynton Blair <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Apr 1999 05:44:41 GMT
At 10:00 AM 3/29/99 -0300, you wrote:

>>At 21:59 30/03/1999 GMT, you wrote:
>>Lynton:

Axel:

>>just curious, where did you read this?

Lynton:
It will take a while before I can dig the books out, I'll let you know.

Axel:

>>does it mean that if for example you
>>grow wheatgrass and you have a little too much one day and you put it
>>in a bag in the refrigerator it looses something fast? what does it loose?
>>i think ann wigmore says you can store wheatgrass after harvest in the
>>refrigerator.

Lynton:
Yes, in "Be your own Doctor" she says that under "storing the wheatgrass".
It makes sense that if the green of the leaf is from Chlorophyl then its
probably ok.
Chorophyl is a potent ingredient, and Dr Price (who is quoted in one of her
books) found that in 15 minutes a great part of chlorophyl is lost. So its
best to use the juice within 5 minutes.

Even 2 hours can cause a great loss of the chlorophyl in the leaf, depending
on the temperature.

And you can notice the difference in taste.

Axel:

>>i had been under the impression that both grasses and sprouts kept
>>growing for a while after harvested.

Lynton:
If you define harvesting these as seperating the leaves from the roots, then
how can they grow?
How long is "a while"? minutes/hours/days/...
What do you mean by "grow"? get longer/gain mass/build nutrients/...

I don't know about growing, but I think they would last longer if the cut
ends were kept in fresh water, much like cut flowers.

regards,
Lynton

PS, I also have a book by the Japanese man who developed 'Green Magma'. He
claims that he discovered how to preserve the Chlorophyl in the freeze-dried
product, but I've seen nothing to back it up, and the taste to me suggests
that its way past its best compared with fresh juice.

PPS
I should have said in my original post to avoid (or be wary of) devices that
are coated with tin - they seem to impart a really metallic taste to the
juice. The exception I found was a grain mill which had cast iron cutting
surface (with no plating). Since the plating was on the internals that were
squishing the grass up through the plates, I found no detectable taste
change. (the ground up leaves just dropped into a waiting glass container).
Stainless would be ok, I wish I could find one.