Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Dec 1998 15:05:38 -0800
On  2 Dec 98 at 9:02, [log in to unmask] wrote:

> Does anyone know what would cause the following problem to happen
> about once every three weeks. The file vmm32.vxd becomes corrupt and
> results in the error message "this program cannot be run in DOS
> mode press any key to continue" the system then shuts down. The size
> of the file prior to the problem is >900k. After the problem
> occurs it is only 32K.

  This file is built as part of the installation process.  It *might*
get modified/rebuilt if new hardware is added to the machine.  Other
than that, its size should never change.
  The file is a little less than 700KB on my handiest Win95 machine,
so 900 is a reasonable possibility and 32 is not.

  What could do this?  I can think of three possibilities.
  If you really are doing frequent additiona and removal of hardware,
it may be that some "size" value in an internal data structure is
overflowing when the file tries to grow beyond 1024KB.  That's not a
bug I've seen reported before, but Microsoft has run into similar
shortsightedness on other projects over the years.
  This could be a very nasty bug in some particular application that
you run.
  Or this could be the deliberate effect of a virus or other hostile
code....

David G

                            The NOSPIN Group
                            http://nospin.com